Friday, January 16, 2009

Simple, Light Chicken Dish

When I'm trying to eat light, my go-to recipe and one of the staples of my diet (literally - I'll have this twice a week) is based off a chicken in wine sauce recipe I downloaded from AllRecipes. For people who care, it's a South Beach Diet friendly recipe (Phase 2), and if I recall correctly it was 3 or 4 Weight Watchers points (my mother and I debated on that, I counted the olive oil and tallied it at 4 while she tallied it at 3)

This is a great dish because it's simple, doesn't cause too much of a mess, and really healthy for you!

I usually buy a package of thin-sliced, boneless chicken breasts at the grocery store for this recipe - the chicken is already cut thin so you can use it "as is" which is really nice.

I also like to add a lot of seasoning - the garlic, salt and pepper is nice (and it's worth the time to chop up the fresh garlic), but I like to add onion powder and seasoned salt instead of regular salt. And of course, since the secret to cooking with wine is to use something marginally drinkable I usually use Barefoot chardonnay.

What I love about this recipe:
  • It's simple - you can come home from a long day at work and have dinner ready in less than half an hour
  • It's super-healthy for you and a great diet recipe at approx. 250 calories per serving
  • You can make it in one dish - yay!
  • You can substitute/add almost any veggies that you already have on hand. I love making this dish with red pepper slices, sweet onion and portabella mushrooms!
In the winter I like to pair this recipe with mashed potatoes and peas, or a nice salad. It goes very well with pinot grigio or riesling as well!

However if I'm trying to eat healthy - like now, try it paired with:
  • Summer squash (best in season), steamed, with a tsp. margarine and lightly seasoned with salt and pepper
  • A nice organic baby romaine salad, and a baked potato with some plain yogurt if you insist on having a starch. A side note on the salad, Price Chopper brand light bleu cheese dressing is awesome, cheap and pretty decent as far as calories and fat go!
Do you have a "healthy" go-to recipe of your own?

No comments: