Sunday, January 18, 2009

Literary Kismet

So, I've been on a healthy-food, what-am-I-putting-into-my-body kick over the past few weeks. Turns out, this is only going to get worse...

I'm currently reading Skinny Bitch, a "tough-love" book that advises us morons that if you don't use your head and pay attention to what you put in your body, you can't lost weight. Makes sense overall - even though I disagree with most of the if-you're-not-vegan-you're-doing-it-wrong viewpoints in the book.

Furthermore, my grad school class in communication and ethics has assigned Fast Food Nation as required reading this semester - we'll be doing a case study on the book. We admittedly don't go to McDonald's anymore for gluten-reasons, but I still think it'll be interesting reading.

Finally, a group of girlfriends and I are in a book club. For the month of February we've picked The Omnivore's Dilemna, which takes a critical look at exactly where our food comes from.

My promise to you, readers, is that as I read these books I'll take anything interesting and relevant to our gluten-free lifestyles and discuss it here in this forum over the next couple of months. For example, Skinny Bitch touts alterna-grain pastas (Bionaturae, Lundberg Farms, etc) as healthier for the general public than regular white wheat pasta!

That said - does anyone else have books they'd recommend on these subjects? I'd be particularly interested in book recommendations specifically about the gluten free lifestyle - I've read the standards, like Living Gluten Free for Dummies, but I'm always looking for something new to read!

No comments: