Friday, August 22, 2008

Recipe: Sauteed Cinnamon Apples

When fall comes around, or at least chilly August weather in Upstate NY, my mind starts turning to apple picking and what can be done with apples. Well, it's a bit early, but our summer hasn't been very hot and my mind has already turned to apples. I absolutely love the sauteed apples at Cracker Barrel and Smokey Bones, they make a great side dish and they're incredibly easy to make.

I make apples for my hubby and myself - the measurements here will feed the two of us for about two meals. I also don't like to do a lot of measuring because it's all about what you like. Some people like sweeter apples and others like their dishes a little more tart so it brings out the natural flavor of the apples. Still, it's an easy recipe to play around with, reheats nicely, and you generally can't go wrong just eyeballing amounts.

You need:
3 Granny Smith apples
3 Tbsp of butter give or take
Half a cup of brown sugar (more or less depending on your taste)
Cinnamon to taste (I'm pretty liberal with the cinnamon, I'd say I use a heaping Tbsp)
1 1/2 cups water with 1 Tbsp of cornstarch, mixed

1. Melt the butter in a pan over medium heat
2. Throw in the diced apples, stirring frequently, until the apple slices become soft
3. Add brown sugar, cinnamon, and water/cornstarch mixture
4. Bring to boil, stirring frequently
5. When sauce thickens, take away from the heat. Serve hot.

They go really great with pork chops or spare ribs, but in the fall I've been known to serve them with chicken (especially roast chicken) as well.

See? Can't get easier - or yummier - than that.

Best part about it - it's naturally gluten free with no substitutions!

No comments: