Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Spring Cleaning Confessions

This past weekend, my husband and I spend some time organizing our basement - most people wouldn't necessarily consider this a fun task, but I'm not most people, and I found it kind of fun for an afternoon. (My husband always teases me about the fact that I organize the shirts in my closet first by sleeve length, then by color - in my SUNY Albany/single days I even had different colored hangers for "work appropriate" and "going out" clothes, but I've graduated from that - no pun intended).

Now, while I'm by no means ready to make an appearance on Hoarders, I was slightly surprised to see how many bulk flours, pastas, and other stuff I'd accumulated over the winter. I've always been a bit of a pack rat - during our move to the new house I finally got rid the suede jacket that I had purchased using my first paycheck at my high school job. (In my defense, it still fit) ... though, I still kept the cropped Michael Kors denim jacket with rhinestone buttons, lacy cami shirts for going out, and a whole bunch of other fashion catastrophes from my past.

While in the past I've talked about the importance of stocking certain pantry staples, I didn't know I was a food pack rat too! :-) Those pastas? 3 or 4 deep, except the Asian pastas which are piled all over the place. And the flours? Tons of bulk bags of different types of flours from the Asian Supermarket.... the plastic airtight containers are the flours that I use for scooping when I bake in that kitchen.

I suppose the bright side is, we're ready for the zombie apocalypse.

Now, pardon me while I go clean out my closet with a garbage bag...

No comments: