Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Recipe: Baked coconut shrimp with dipping sauce

This evening, in an effort to escape the dinner rut my husband and I tried a new recipe that I'd found online for baked coconut shrimp.

I didn't have everything on hand and modified it to suit our preferences, so here's what I made:

Ingredients
  • 1 lb. large shrimp, peeled and deveined (I had about 30)
  • 1/2 cup cornstarch
  • 1 tsp seasoned salt
  • 2 cups flaked sweetened coconut
  • 2 eggs, beaten
Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 400F and grease baking sheet with cooking spray.
  2. Rinse & dry shrimp. 
  3. Mix cornstarch and seasoned salt together. 
  4. Dredge shrimp in cornstarch, then egg, then roll in coconut. Place on sheet. 
  5. Bake for approx. 16 minutes, turning halfway through. Shrimp will be pink and cooked through and coconut will be brown. 
I served with the following dipping sauce (a variation of one of my own concoctions):
  • 1 tsp cornstarch
  • 3/4 cup orange juice (pineapple would be better)
  • 1/4 cup white vinegar
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 3 Tbsp brown sugar
  • 2 Tbsp ketchup
  • 2 tsp oil (I was out of sesame so used canola) 
Heat in a saucepan over med-high heat until thickened to the desired consistency, and serve.

Overall the shrimp went over very well. It's a bit rich and might be better off as a party app, but made a very satisfying dinner. I served with baked potato and steamed broccoli (mostly because that's all that was left in the house for veggie options).

No comments: