Sunday, February 24, 2013

CSA week two, plus grocery findings

Good morning and happy Sunday! Hope that everyone had a great week and weekend so far! Our week was pretty busy and I did some "throw together" dinners during the week without many pictures. However, I did get a pretty nice CSA haul this week:
I didn't do the extra fruit share this week - mostly because it was still apples, and living in Upstate NY has spoiled me to want apples when they're in season. Still, I got: 
  • 2 kohlrabi (a new-to-me veggie)
  • Frozen green beans, corn and blueberries
  • Oyster and shiitake mushroms
  • A handful of onions
  • A big bag o' garlic 
  • Stella Vallis Tomme cheese
I also still have a decent amount of veggies from last week:
  • Onions and potatoes are being stored right now (I also got a free bag of russet potatoes from PC!)
  • Still have carrots from last week 
  • Still have frozen broccoli from last week
Okay, so what have I done/am planning to do with all of these veggies?
  • Last week's garlic bulb was gone in a couple of days. I am realizing how much I use garlic in just about everything! 
  • I'm storing the onions and potatoes in modified Trader Joe's paper bags, in cool dark locations, so hopefully they last well until I need to use them. 
  • The carrots are in my fridge - I need to use them up soon. 
  •  The pea greens from last week ended up being polished off by me - raw - Sunday as a snack while preparing lunch. 
  • The apples from last week were brought in to work with lunch by my husband and myself. The last of the apples were sliced last Sunday, and eaten with brie. 
  • The watermelon radishes were all used up in salads. 
  • The frozen broccoli, green beans, corn and blueberries are all in the freezer still, so I'm holding off on using them up. 
  • Friday night, we brought a rotisserie chicken home from Price Chopper for dinner. I sauteed the frozen kale with olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper and used some leftover mashed potatoes. It was good - and an easy meal!
  • Saturday night I made chicken tortilla soup from one of my light and healthy cookbooks, but the only thing I put in it from the CSA haul were onions and garlic. 
  • The cheese will be tried today, after my boot camp class at the gym! Cheese, once it's opened, never lasts more than a couple of days in this house. 
  • This evening, we're planning broiled steaks with sauteed mushrooms and onions (with garlic) and, if I feel ambitious, homemade garlic and rosemary bread. 
  • The rest of the garlic will get chopped up, mixed with EVOO, and frozen. (Food safety tip: it's important to freeze that mixture, and not refrigerate it!)
  • During the week I'm planning an cooking tilapia, and making this kohlrabi recipe to go with it: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/roasted-kohlrabi/
  • Carrots may get used in salads. If not, I have to make a soup next weekend! 
I also found some interesting stuff to stock the freezer with during my travels on Saturday:
  • Walmart now carries more gluten free frozen goods! I found Tyson gluten free chicken tenders and nuggets in their freezer and picked up the tenders. I still haven't found the GF Purdue chicken anywhere. Once in a while when we feel like being bad, chicken tenders/nuggets with homemade french fries is a necessary dinner.
  • Price Chopper had Contessa frozen  convenience dinners on sale (Buy One, Get One) last week. I haven't tried them, but they caught my eye and some of them were labelled GF! After reading the ingredient label, they're not that bad for a convenience meal - each package has 2 servings, and they're between 300 and 350 calories per serving. We picked up the Shrimp Fried Rice and Paella meals to store in the freezer for when we need a quick meal.

No comments: