Saturday, November 12, 2011

Sick Comfort Food

For the past few days, I've been pretty under the weather - enough to call in not one but two days. For me that's practically unheard of - in fact, I think it's the second time I've been sick enough to do that in the six-plus years I've worked for my company. (Confession time: The second day I did answer e-mails and attempt working from home...) I thought I was getting better toward the end of the week, but today I woke up with a horrible sore throat. Figures, too - I was supposed to take my sister-in-law out for her birthday lunch as well as go to an honors society event at my campus this weekend. Oh well.

All that said - I have a few comfort foods that I always tend to gravitate toward when I'm not feeling well. And no, the standard Campbell's chicken soup (even if it were gluten free) doesn't make my list. Here goes - the foods I gravitate toward when I am sick:
  • Edy's Fruit Bars in Strawberry. My husband absolutely detests strawberry, but I think these are heavenly... for some reason, I only indulge in them when I'm sick! 
  • Apple Juice. I don't think there's any explanation necessary here... 
  • Egg Drop Soup. I love this stuff, and it's another thing that I never end up eating unless I'm sick. On Tuesday I tried making some of this at home using a recipe I found online, with less-than-stellar results. I'm not quite sure what I did wrong, though I did substitute fresh chives (which I've been out of since the first frost) with fresh scallions from my fridge. I'll confess, I usually go the easy route when I'm sick and get delivery from a local place (I have no idea if it's gluten free), but I can attest that PF Changs does have an excellent - and verified gluten free - egg drop soup.
  • Green tea. I'm a fan of Tazo Zen green tea, and Lotus decaf green tea (which I'm still upset has been removed from Starbucks line of Tazo teas). This is the only item on the list that I have on a regular basis, even when I'm not sick, but I only sweeten it with honey when I'm not feeling well. 
  • Jello, in either strawberry, cherry/black cherry, or lime. I occasionally make the sugar-free versions for myself, but the only time I break out the full-sugar packages, you know I'm not feeling well. 
  • Pasta with butter and salt. We don't keep regular pasta in the house anymore, but high-quality gluten free pasta like Pasta Mia or Bionaturae will work just as well. 
What are your go-to comfort foods when you're not feeling well? 

No comments: