Sunday, October 16, 2011

White Pizza - Finally!

After a few trial-and-error attempts at making a white broccoli pizza, I finally succeeded! (No pictures because unfortunately it was late and it disappeared pretty quickly). White pizza is one of my husband's favorite pizzas, but every time I made it something was... missing. Finally, a colleague of mine (whose family name ends in a vowel) tipped me off to the trick to turn my white pizza from blah to yum. After diligent research using Google, suggested wine pairings are a nice crisp white like Pinot Grigio or bubbly.

Now... when I make pizza I almost never measure anything, I just eyeball it to taste. Because let's be honest, a little more cheese never hurt anything besides the waistline, and pizza is intended to be a treat so may as well make it good, right? 

So with that said, here goes.


Crust: 
(This is my standard pizza crust recipe. I started out by reverse engineering Pizzeria Uno's crust recipe and now I think it's better!)
  • 1 cup warm H2O
  • 2 Tbsp sugar
  • 1 packet yeast
  • 1-1/2 cups potato starch (The recipe will taste fine with just one cup, but adding the extra half cup makes the dough a lot more malleable. I've never been brave enough to *throw* the dough, but I can gently toss it.)
  • 1 cup tapioca starch
  • 1/2 cup white rice flour
  • 1/2 cup brown rice flour
  • 1 generous tsp xanthan gum (some might call it heaping)
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 egg
  • 1/4 cup shortening
  • EVOO
  1. Place pizza stone in oven and preheat to 400 F. 
  2. Mix water, sugar, yeast. Set aside to let the yeast foam. 
  3. Mix together all dry ingredients in a stand mixer. Whisk together a bit until flours are completely combined. 
  4. Add egg, shortening, and water. Beat until thoroughly combined.
  5. Lightly grease a 14 inch pizza pan. I usually grease with shortening. 
  6. Using your hand, Roll the dough into a ball and start shaping it/flattening it out if possible. (If it's not just start pressing it into the pizza pan). Press into the pizza pan, making sure the dough evenly covers the entire pan. 
  7. Lightly brush the top of the crust with EVOO. 
  8. Bake for at least 10 minutes. Check it after 10 minutes, especially if you like a softer crust. I like a bit crispier crust so always keep it in for at least 15 minutes. 
  9. Take out of the oven and transfer to a pizza stone, and add toppings.

Toppings: 
  • 6 Cloves Garlic, Finely Chopped
  • 2 Tbsp EVOO
  • Ricotta Cheese (Enough to liberally cover pizza shell)
  • Mozzarella Cheese (Buy one bag of shredded)
  • Chopped Steamed Broccoli (you can short-cut and use frozen veggies here)
  • Salt and Pepper 
  1.  Turn oven to broil.
  2. Sautee 5 cloves garlic with EVOO. Mix with Ricotta, season with salt and pepper. Spread on pizza crust. 
  3. Liberally sprinkle mozzarella on pizza crust. 
  4. Season entire crust with a lot of salt and pepper. Seriously - I went to the point of, "Wow, this is going to be too much."
  5. Combine final clove garlic with chopped broccoli. Sprinkle on top.
  6. Broil until pizza cheese is completely melted, and is starting to turn brown. Take out of the oven and enjoy.

1 comment:

Rachel said...

This sounds incredibly good. I may surprise my celiac old man tonite with this recipe!