Now... when I make pizza I almost never measure anything, I just eyeball it to taste. Because let's be honest, a little more cheese never hurt anything besides the waistline, and pizza is intended to be a treat so may as well make it good, right?
So with that said, here goes.
(This is my standard pizza crust recipe. I started out by reverse engineering Pizzeria Uno's crust recipe and now I think it's better!)
- 1 cup warm H2O
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 1 packet yeast
- 1-1/2 cups potato starch (The recipe will taste fine with just one cup, but adding the extra half cup makes the dough a lot more malleable. I've never been brave enough to *throw* the dough, but I can gently toss it.)
- 1 cup tapioca starch
- 1/2 cup white rice flour
- 1/2 cup brown rice flour
- 1 generous tsp xanthan gum (some might call it heaping)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup shortening
- Place pizza stone in oven and preheat to 400 F.
- Mix water, sugar, yeast. Set aside to let the yeast foam.
- Mix together all dry ingredients in a stand mixer. Whisk together a bit until flours are completely combined.
- Add egg, shortening, and water. Beat until thoroughly combined.
- Lightly grease a 14 inch pizza pan. I usually grease with shortening.
- Using your hand, Roll the dough into a ball and start shaping it/flattening it out if possible. (If it's not just start pressing it into the pizza pan). Press into the pizza pan, making sure the dough evenly covers the entire pan.
- Lightly brush the top of the crust with EVOO.
- Bake for at least 10 minutes. Check it after 10 minutes, especially if you like a softer crust. I like a bit crispier crust so always keep it in for at least 15 minutes.
- Take out of the oven and transfer to a pizza stone, and add toppings.
- 6 Cloves Garlic, Finely Chopped
- 2 Tbsp EVOO
- Ricotta Cheese (Enough to liberally cover pizza shell)
- Mozzarella Cheese (Buy one bag of shredded)
- Chopped Steamed Broccoli (you can short-cut and use frozen veggies here)
- Salt and Pepper
- Turn oven to broil.
- Sautee 5 cloves garlic with EVOO. Mix with Ricotta, season with salt and pepper. Spread on pizza crust.
- Liberally sprinkle mozzarella on pizza crust.
- Season entire crust with a lot of salt and pepper. Seriously - I went to the point of, "Wow, this is going to be too much."
- Combine final clove garlic with chopped broccoli. Sprinkle on top.
- Broil until pizza cheese is completely melted, and is starting to turn brown. Take out of the oven and enjoy.