Anyway, we had a couple of cancellations at the last minute because of the autumn cold that was going around, so here was what we decided on for a menu. First, for drinks, we had apple cider - hard apple cider from our earlier bottling, and "soft" apple cider, heated on the stove top with cinnamon sticks.
I also made pepperoni pizza puffs (always a favorite), a modified stuffed mushrooms recipe (my husband's not a fan of too much spice, so I substitute the cayenne for seasoned salt and add just a teeny tiny dash of crushed red pepper flakes - one shake - so they're not too spicy), and then made holy-foodgasm caramel corn. No lie, this stuff is like crack.
Here's the recipe:
- 1 stick butter (unsalted)
- 2 cups golden/light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup corn syrup
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp vanilla
- big bowl plain popped popcorn
- Preheat oven to 250F.
- Pop the popcorn over the stove in a bit of canola oil. Place the popcorn in a large baking dish (a disposable turkey pan is best) and keep it warm in the oven until you're ready for it.
- Melt the butter on the stovetop over medium heat. Stir in the brown sugar and corn syrup. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Once it comes to a boil, let it boil for 4 minutes without touching it.
- Take off the heat and add the baking soda and vanilla. It'll turn a really cool light color and thicken up immediately - that's normal.
- Pour over the popcorn and stir so all the popcorn is coated.
- Bake for 45 min, stirring every 15 minutes. Let cool, break apart and serve. Pairs insanely well with (non-alcoholic) warm cider and cinnamon.