Thursday, May 5, 2011

Mother's Day

First off, a Happy Early Mother's Day to all the wonderful moms out there!

Every year my husband and I host Mother's Day for our mothers, and this year my grandmother will be joining us as well. Other than gluten, I'm restricted by some of the spices that I normally use (which, as you know, is terribly hard for me as I use Frank's Red Hot like I drink water).

Anyway, here is the menu I'm thinking of (written before I actually go to the store, may change if I'm not a fan of some produce):

Munchies
I don't want to do too much here, just put a couple of things out for people to nosh on while they're visiting. 

  • Scallops wrapped in bacon
  • Cheese platter

Dinner
  • Grilled shrimp and veggie kabobs, basted in fat free Italian dressing. Optionally serve thai chili sauce as a side for dipping (not everyone's a fan, but I'm in love with it) 
  • Caprese salad (fresh mozzarella, sliced tomato - I like the organic hydroponic ones this time of year - and fresh basil leaves drizzled with a tiny bit of olive oil, balsamic vinegar and salt/pepper)
  • Trying out a new recipe for almond wild rice
  • Gluten free macaroni salad (fail-safe in case the rice doesn't come out well :)) I'll also have baked potatoes on hand for people on low-fat diets.
  • Gluten free dinner rolls, baked from scratch.

Dessert
  • Grilled pineapple, with Nutella.

No comments: