Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Tex Mex Cheesecake

Recently, our good friends V and L invited my husband and I over for a movie night. L (the wife) e-mailed me a few days before we came over with a new recipe she'd tried, loved, and thought was gluten free but wanted to make sure. I figured that if she - a knowledgeable foodie - had questions, other people probably do as well.

The recipe in question is a Tex Mex Cheesecake and it can be found online here.

So, here's the ingredient list and gluten free breakdown. You may have additional brands, etc. that you know of, please feel free to comment!

Here is the ingredient list:

  • Butter - naturally gluten free.
  • Tortilla Chips - typically made from corn, and most are GF. If you're nervous and looking for a brand recommendation, we usually purchase Tostitos or the Santitas chips at the grocery store.
  • Cream Cheese - Price Chopper brand is on their list of gluten free items. Kraft is also fine as their policy is to label gluten. I can't imagine others being a problem, either.
  • Ricotta Cheese - I've never had an issue with ricotta. I usually buy Price Chopper brand.
  • Envelope taco seasoning - Old El Paso is owned by General Mills, and they have a similar policy to Kraft when it comes to ingredient labelling. As long as the label doesn't contain wheat it should be OK. Ortega has recently begun labelling some of their foods GF as well.
  • Adobo sauce - I've never had an issue.
  • Salsa - I've never had an issue. When in doubt make your own.
  • Monterey Jack w/ Peppers cheese - I've never had an issue; furthermore Price Chopper lists their brand cheese on their gluten free list.
  • Eggs - Naturally gluten free.
  • Chipotle Chiles in Adobo - I've never had an issue.
  • Scallion - Naturally gluten free.
  • Sour cream - Many are fine. Price Chopper brand lists their regular and light sour cream on their GF list, but not their fat free. Be warned.
  • Cheddar Cheese - I've never had an issue; furthermore Price Chopper lists their brand cheese on their gluten free list.
  • Black olives - Naturally gluten free.
The savory cheesecake (pictured above) came out beautifully and was absolutely delicious!

No comments: