Wednesday, March 24, 2010

"Kat's GF Drive-Thru"

So, I don't know about you, but sometimes I have weeks where I'm so uber-scheduled that cooking just isn't an option. This evening we had an appointment immediately after work and had to grab dinner in the car. Before-celiac that would have been simple - hit up McDonald's or Burger King for a high-fat, high-calorie, and highly-portable meal. Alas, that's not the case anymore.

Sure, some fast food restaurants - most notably Wendy's - do have fast food options. However, all of them require sitting at a table with utensils to eat. Salads, baked potato, chili - while it's wonderful to have those options none of them are exactly portable.

Our usual strategy is to pack a few things in the car to tide ourselves over until we're able to get home. We're partial to string cheese, PayDay bars, peanuts, Os-Trim sticks and gluten free jerky. They're good in a pinch but what inevitably happens is, by the time we get home we're completely ravenous and tend to overeat when we are finally around food. No, they're not good enough.

And finally -- my husband is what you'd call a picky eater. He's got a lot of foods on his list that he won't eat - any berry or berry flavor (yes, including but not limited to strawberry, raspberry, blackberry, and blueberry), anything with bananas in it or banana flavoring, fresh oranges, chocolate, carrots, any sort of squash, asparagus, avocado, tofu.... well, I could go on, but you get the point. It's never a problem to make this stuff at home where I can tell him to fend for himself if he doesn't like it, but I wanted to be a little more efficient for this.

And oh yeah, nothing with mayo for me (what, I'm allowed one thing to be picky about. :-))

Well, I came up with some ideas.

First:
Portable Grilled Cheese sandwiches

I took some gluten free bread from our freezer, toasted it, buttered both sides (well, light margarine), and placed a few slices of muenster cheese. Grill on each side until the bread is lightly browned and the cheese is melted. Wrap in aluminum foil and bring an extra napkin or to, and you're good to go.

For a bit of extra flavor, add ham or portabello mushrooms to the sandwiches.

Second:
Pre-made burritos

I didn't do this one tonight, but the next time we make Mexican I'm going to make a little extra rice and beans, and wrap/freeze them with cheese and sauce in corn tortillas (I like Mission tortillas if I don't make my own, though they tend to be small). Brown rice tortillas would probably also be an option. They're freezable and can be nuked for a really quick meal.

How about everyone else? What are your gluten free on-the-go staples?

1 comment:

Priscilla said...

I just started doing gluten free but I am leaning towards making a those burritos there. :)

Right now I just grab gluten-free cookies.