Sunday, September 14, 2008

Gluten Free Pizza, As Promised

Well, I believe I've finally started to adjust to working full time and taking evening classes, and what better way to come back to blogging -- and the football season -- than a post about gluten free pizza? I've been owing my co-worker Joan this post for a while now -- I've got a recipe that my picky hubby loves and that I keep adjusting and playing with. Here's the latest incarnation:

Ingredients:
  • 1/2 cup + 4 tsp potato flour (or 1/3 and 1/4 cup)
  • 1/2 cup potato starch
  • 1/2 cup amaranth flour
  • 2 tsp xanthan gum
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp dough enhancer
  • 2 1/4 tsp yeast (1 packet)
  • 2 Tbsp sugar
  • 2 egg whites (or 1 egg)
  • 2 Tbsp EVOO + liberal amounts of EVOO for rolling, brushing, etc.
  • 1 cup lukewarm H2O
  • Desired Toppings
Instructions:
  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
  2. Mix sugar, dough enhancer and yeast in lukewarm H2O. Set aside to foam.
  3. Mix potato flour, potato starch, amaranth flour, xanthan gum, salt. Add water/yeast combination, egg whites, and olive oil and mix until everything is well combined.
  4. Coating hands and pan with olive oil, knead the dough for several minutes. I like to do this manually and keep pulling and shaping. Eventually when the dough feels stretchy, shape it and place it into a pizza dough pan that's been greased with EVOO.
  5. If you want a thicker crust, cover and let the dough rise. I like thinner crust pizza though so I usually skip this step.
  6. Bake in preheated oven 5-10 minutes, until done. My oven usually takes about 5 minutes. When it's done it will smell like potatoes and the bottom will just start to turn brown.
  7. Take out the dough and let cool. This is usually when I start preheating my pizza stone.
  8. When the dough has cooled off and the pizza stone has preheated, transfer the dough to the hot stone. Brush the dough with EVOO, add sauce (I usually doctor plain Ragu with oregano, marjoram, onion powder, crushed red pepper and a liberal amount of garlic), mozzarella cheese and any other desired toppings (Hormel pepperoni now says gluten free right on their label!). Preheat the oven to broil and place the pizza in the oven until the cheese is melted.
That's all there is to it -- it goes wonderfully with buffalo wings and Bard's Tale gluten free beer!

No comments: