Sunday, December 20, 2009

Gluten free eggnog breakfast cake

I found an interesting looking recipe on Betty Crocker's website - for gluten free eggnog breakfast cake. Well my husband LOVES egg nog with a passion so we decided to try it.

The original recipe is here, but I decided to make a few changes. First since my husband hates pecans, we omitted those. Second, I made meringue cookies last night and had a lot of egg yolks to get rid of so I used six egg yolks instead of the three eggs. (I think in the future I'll use the three eggs). Finally, I used ingredients I had on hand.

Here's the recipe I made:

Ingredients:
  • 1 box Betty Crocker GF yellow cake mix
  • 1 package Jello instant vanilla pudding
  • 1/3 cup milk
  • 2/3 cup egg nog
  • 1 stick (1/2 cup) butter, softened
  • 1 Tbsp dark rum
  • 1 tsp gluten free vanilla extract
  • 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
  • 6 egg yolks (not recommended - use 3 eggs)
  • 1/4 cup frosting (I think I used a lot more, I didn't measure).
Directions:
  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease bottom of 9" square pan. Beat all ingredients except frosting in a large bowl on low speed, them on medium speed until completely combined. Pour into the greased pan.
  • Bake 35 minutes or until it passes the "toothpick test" and an inserted toothpick comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes, scrape the edges of the pan with a knife.
  • Let cool for 30 minutes, then drizzle with frosting. It's easier to drizzle if you nuke it for 15 seconds or so.
  • Optional: sprinkle top with pecans or gluten free candied pecans.

Overall - pretty yummy, though I felt myself gaining 5 lbs. with the first bite. I'll leave it for my hubby (who doesn't have that problem) and keep it in my notes for an occasional holiday treat. :-)

No comments: