The original recipe is here, but I decided to make a few changes. First since my husband hates pecans, we omitted those. Second, I made meringue cookies last night and had a lot of egg yolks to get rid of so I used six egg yolks instead of the three eggs. (I think in the future I'll use the three eggs). Finally, I used ingredients I had on hand.
Here's the recipe I made:
- 1 box Betty Crocker GF yellow cake mix
- 1 package Jello instant vanilla pudding
- 1/3 cup milk
- 2/3 cup egg nog
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) butter, softened
- 1 Tbsp dark rum
- 1 tsp gluten free vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 6 egg yolks (not recommended - use 3 eggs)
- 1/4 cup frosting (I think I used a lot more, I didn't measure).
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease bottom of 9" square pan. Beat all ingredients except frosting in a large bowl on low speed, them on medium speed until completely combined. Pour into the greased pan.
- Bake 35 minutes or until it passes the "toothpick test" and an inserted toothpick comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes, scrape the edges of the pan with a knife.
- Let cool for 30 minutes, then drizzle with frosting. It's easier to drizzle if you nuke it for 15 seconds or so.
- Optional: sprinkle top with pecans or gluten free candied pecans.
Overall - pretty yummy, though I felt myself gaining 5 lbs. with the first bite. I'll leave it for my hubby (who doesn't have that problem) and keep it in my notes for an occasional holiday treat. :-)