Monday, June 15, 2009

Massachusetts Trip - Part 1

Last week my husband and I spent a long weekend in Cape Cod.

On our way to the Cape, we visited the Wrentham Village Premium Outlets -- it's probably pretty safe to say that my husband didn't enjoy spending the afternoon shopping as much as I did, but we spent a great afternoon going to outlet stores including Barney's and Saks Off Fifth. For the information of gluten free shopping enthusiasts, there's an Uno's right outside the outlet village as well! (Incidentally - going shopping with my hubby, I found it beneficial to show my husband the prices in the Burberry outlet before taking him to see the purses in the Coach outlet). ;-)

We stayed in Mid Cape (West Yarmouth). We got there right around dinnertime and checked into the Howard Johnson in West Yarmouth. It was a little small, but the price was right, it was clean, and they offered refrigerators and an indoor pool. I'd recommend it for an inexpensive weekend on the Cape. :-) While they advertised a contintental breakfast, we brought a box of Honey Nut Chex and bought a quart of milk at a local store. That turned out to be a good decision, because there would have been no gluten free options at their continental breakfast - not that we expected any. :-)

Tired and hungry, our first stop for dinner was BZ's Mexican Pizzeria. I'd seen them online, and they offered gluten free pizza with shells from the Good JuJu Bakery. It was pretty easy to find in Dennisport. When we got to the restaurant we were a little nervous at first based on the exterior of the building -- but when we got in and ordered a RedBridge beer and one of the best strawberry margaritas I'd had in a long while, we felt a little bit better about our prospects. They offer gluten free pizzas with most toppings available - eggplant, buffalo chicken, etc. were off limits obviously because they contain flour, but everything else is fair game. My husband ordered a small gluten free pizza (12") with pepperoni, sausage and extra cheese. The crust was very thin, and so good that I couldn't distinguish it from "regular" pizza. In fact, my husband was nervous at first -- it was so good that he thought it contained gluten! The price was pretty good as well - the small pizza was $12 plus extra for toppings (a large gluten free pizza runs $20). I went off the "gluten free wagon" and ordered Mexican -- I regretted it though because the pizza was much better! Our entire meal plus drinks ran to about $40, not too shabby!

More tomorrow on the rest of our dining experiences!

2 comments:

Lisa said...

Kat! So glad you tried BZ's! I thought their GF pizza was amazing as well! Can't wait to hear about the rest of your trip!

Anonymous said...

Glad you enjoyed it! I'll have to check those out next time I'm on the Cape.

I have been to the Uno's near the outlet malls. Very nice!