Thursday, November 6, 2008

Review: Enjoy Life boomCHOCOboom bars

The final Enjoy Life product on my list of reviews is Enjoy Life's boomCHOCOboom chocolate bars. They're dairy free chocolate bars made with rice milk, which I have to say is a great idea for choco-holics suffering from allergies. Unfortunately, my husband not only cannot eat gluten but he also can't have chocolate, so he was out of these taste tests we well.

There were three chocolate bars: crispy rice, dark chocolate, and rice milk chocolate. The crispy rice one looked the best, so I tried it first. I have to say that it was different - not as sweet as say, a Nestle crunch bar, and with a bit of a heavier, thicker texture. Honestly, it didn't taste like milk chocolate to me, but I was definitely reminded of dark chocolate. I liked the crunchiness of the crispy rice, but one square was more than enough - I wouldn't ever be able to eat a whole bar in one sitting (that's a good thing though!).

Next on me life was the rice milk chocolate bar. This had the same heavy, thick texture that the crispy rice bar did, and again it wasn't as sweet. I was reminded of dark chocolate again - it's definitely not as sweet as mainstream milk chocolate bars. Without the crispy rice there was a more noticeable difference from other chocolate. Again, one square was enough, though I didn't like this one as much as the crispy rice bar.

Finally, the dark chocolate bar, was just way too dark for me. I am not very objective on this - I'm a girl who eats Dove milk chocolate all the time and I have never been a fan of the very dark stuff. Still, I think people who do like extremely dark chocolate may like it a lot better. The only thing I can say, is that it needed something else in it - like a caramel filling or something - to offset the bitterness.

Overall, they're a little pricey compared to mainstream chocolate and not something that I'd buy regularly without allergies. That said it's a great idea for people who have problems with nuts or dairy and I'd especially recommend the crispy rice bar for people who can't have regular milk chocolate, and if they came out with a "sweeter" chocolate bar I'd definitely give it another shot. No paws on this review, because chocolate is bad for little puggles. :)

No comments: